Food: Where Does It Come From?Q & A
Q1: Do you find that all living beings need the same kind of food?
Answer: No. Different animals eat different kinds of food as per their needs. Depending on kind of food they eat, animals are divided into three categories:
- Herbivores: Animals which feed on plants and plant products are called herbivores. e.g. cow, goat
- Carnivores: Animals which feed on other animals are called carnivores. e.g. lion, tiger
- Omnivores: Animals which feed on both plants and animals are called omnivores. e.g. crow
Q2: Name five plants and their parts that we eat.
- Apple - Fruit
- Potato - Stem
- Carrot - Root
- Spinach - Leaf
- Wheat - Seed
- Cauliflower - Flower
Q3: Match the items given in Column A with that in Column B
Milk, Curd, Paneer, ghee - are all animals products.
Spinach, cauliflower,carrot - are vegetable.
Lions and tigers - eat other animals
Herbivores - eat plants and plant products
Q4: Fill up the blanks with the words given:
(a) Tiger is a __carnivore________ because it eats only meat.
(b) Deer eats only plant products and so, is called _herbivore_.
(c) Parrot eats only __plants_______ products.
(d) The _milk___ that we drink, which comes from cows, buffaloes and goats is an animal product.
(e) We get sugar from _sugarcane___.
Q5: Why food is necessary for human life?
Answer: Food is necessary for life for the following reasons:
- It helps in growth and development.
- It provides energy.
- It helps repair body like healing of wounds.
- It prepares our body to fight against germs and diseases.
Q6: Why is glucouse given to sportsmen?
Answer: Glucouse is a simple carbohydrate and is a quick source of energy.
Q7: Why water is important for our body?
Answer: Water is an important need for our body because:
- It helps carrying digested food in our body.
- it helps flushing out waste from our body.
- it helps regulate temperature of our body.
- it constitutes 70% (2/3rd) of our body
- It protects and moisturizes our joints and skins.
Q8: Which one of the following is a carnivore animal?
Answer: (b) Owl
Q9: Which of the following is not a milk product?
Answer: (c) honey
Q10: Humans are:
(d) None of these
Answer: (c) Omnivores
Q11: What are scavengers? How do they help the environment?
Answer: Animals that eat flesh of dead animals are called scavengers. For example, vultures, jackal, crow are common examples of scavengers. By eating dead animals, they help in keeping environment clean. Otherwise our surrounding will be full stinking dead animals.
Q12: Which part of tea plant is used for making refreshing drinks?
Answer: Tea Leaves
Q13: List two sources of edible oil.
Answer: Mustard seeds, Coconut.
Q14: Name the plants from which sugar is obtained.
Answer: Sugar cane and sugar beet
Q15: Name at least three common spices used in our food.
- Coriander leaves
- Cumin seed