Study Points1. An expression of the form a0 + a1x + a2x2 + ----- + anxn where an is called a polynomial in variable x of degree n. where; a0 ,a1, ----- an are real numbers and are called terms/co-efficients of the polynomial and each power of x is a non negative integer.
2. Polynomials in the variable x are denoted by f(x), g(x), h(x) etc.
e.g. f(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + ----- + anxn
3. A polynomial p(x) = a (where a is constant) is of degree 0 and is called a constant polynomial.
4. A polynomial p(x) = ax + b is of degree 1 and is called a linear polynomial. e.g. 4x - 3, 5x...
5. A polynomial p(x) = ax2 + bx + c of degree 2 and is called a quadratic polynomial.
e.g. 3x2 -x + 5, 1- x2...
6. A polynomial p(x) = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d of degree 3 and is called a cubic polynomial.
e.g. √5x3 - 2x2 + 5x -1...