Tuesday 18 September 2012

Reading Comprehension (Unseen Poem) #eduvictors

Reading Comprehension
(Unseen Poems)

Q1(CTET): Directions: Read the poem given below and answer the questions that follow by selecting the most appropriate option.



The sun descending in the west,
The evening star does shine;
The birds are silent in their nest.
And I must seek for mine.



        The moon, like a flower
        In heaven's high bower,
        With silent delight
        Sits and smiles on the night.

Farewell, green fields and happy grove,
Where flocks have took delight:
Where lambs have nibbled, silent move
The feet of angels bright;

        Unseen they pour blessing
        And joy without ceasing
        On each bud and blossom,
        And each sleeping bosom.

They look in every thoughtless nest
Where birds are covered warm;
They visit caves of every beast,
To keep them all from harm:

        If they see any weeping
        That should have been sleeping,
        They pour sleep on their head,
        And sit down by their bed.
                                         (Extract from the poem 'Night' by William Blake)

1: The evening star rises when

(a) the birds leave their nests
(b) it is midnight
(c) it is dawn
(d) the sun descends in the west

2: Here, 'bower' represents

(a) a potted plant
(b) a framework that supports climbing plants
(c) a bouquet of flowers
(d) a flower vase

3: The poet compares the moon to

(a) a flower
(b) a bird in the nest
(c) an evening star
(d) an angel

4: The angels come down on earth to

(a) spread moonlight
(b) give blessing and joy
(c) make people, dance and have fun
(d) take blessing and joy

5: Birds' nest is described as 'thoughtless' because

(a) the angels are blessing the birds to be happy
(b) the birds are covered in the warmth of their nest
(c) it is made without any thought
(d) the occupants are asleep without any care

6: The figure of speech used, in. the line 'In heaven's high bower' is

(a) Metaphor
(b) Personification
(c) Alliteration
(d) Simile


Answers:
1: (d) the sun descends in the west
2: (c) a bouquet of flowers
3: (a) a flower
4: (b) give blessing and joy
5: (d) the occupants are asleep without any care
6: (a) Metaphor

Q2(CBSE 2010): Read the following poem carefully, and answer the following questions by choosing the most appropriate options:

SYMPATHY

I lay in sorrow, in deep distress;
My grief a proud man heard;
His looks were cold, he gave me gold,
But not a kindly word

My sorrow passed – I paid him back
The gold he gave to me;
Then stood erect and spoke my thanks
And blessed his charity.

I lay in want, and grief and pain;
A poor man passed my way,
He bound my head, he gave me bread,
He watched me night and day.

How shall I pay him back again
For all he did to me?
Oh, gold is great, but greater far
Is heavenly sympathy.

1. How did the proud man help the poet when he was 'in deep distress'?

(a) He gave him jewels
(b) He took him home
(c) He gave some money
(d) He pitied the poet

2. What was it he did not give the poet?

(a) money
(b) gold
(c) food
(d) sympathy

3. How did the poor man take care of the poet?

(a) The poor man gave him some money and food
(b) The poor man gave gold and kind words
(c) The poor man gave food to the poet and took care of him day and night
(d) He took the poet home and bound his head which was hurt

4. Which of the following statements is not true?

(a) The poet repaid his debt to the proud man by thanking him
(b) The poor man blessed the charity of the poet
(c) When the poet was in sorrow he was given money
(d) The poet says he cannot repay the poor man for his sympathy

5. Which word in the poem means  "giving money to a person who is in need"?

(a) charity
(b) sympathy
(c) kindness
(d) distress

Answer:
1: (c) He gave some money [here gold refers to money]
2: (d) sympathy
3: (c) The poor man gave food to the poet and took care of him day and night
4: (b) The poor man blessed the charity of the poet
5: (a) charity



50 comments:

  1. Why i am unable to copy all the questions but it is very helpful thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. b'cuz dis pg is protected by copyscape.......see at the end of the page.....:(

      Delete
    2. I suggest you to use an extension in your pc browser to remove this protection.
      "Allow Copy"
      search for this extension on google

      Delete
  2. it is very helpful to me for complete my homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could you please help me that, can you send the poes and questions@ sanalsnair998@gmail.com pls.
      SSnair
      Kerala

      Delete
    2. could you please help me that, can you send the poes and questions@ sanalsnair998@gmail.com pls.
      SSnair
      Kerala

      Delete
    3. PS GIVE A PASSIGE IN FRENCH

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot, it really helped my kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly helpful. kindly also upload a few CBSE hindi poem comprehension passages for grade 5 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I was trying to copy paste the blog but was not able to. Can u please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can select from top to bottom of page and drag it to your word doc.

      Delete
  7. Got a wonderful poem for comprehension......quite helpful

    ReplyDelete
  8. thnxxx.. for complete my homework :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. googd website causei am in IB it is excellent ot learn from the website

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mean good website cause I am in IB curriculam and this website is excellent for learning about comperhension of poems;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It helped me to prepare for my SA2Exams

    Thnx q lot!!.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It helped me to prepare for my SA2Exams

    Thnx q lot!!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely THE POEM SYMPATHY CAME IN MY ANNUALS AND THANKS A LOT I SCORE 9 ON 9 !!! yohooooooooooooooooooooo THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. amazing it really increase my confidence level

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing it really increase my confidence level and helped me in my xams

    ReplyDelete
  19. More questions please.
    These many aren't sufficient..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s helpful for me to prepare for my exam

    ReplyDelete
  21. its helpful but i don't want mcq i want proper questions which come in the exams...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your thoughts about this post!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.